Tuesday 25 October 2011

Bacon and Egg Pie

Last night we needed a quick and simple meal to eat before we headed out to watch the World Cup Rugby Final. In the freezer I found some pastry that we had slightly forgotten about, some bacon and as always we had plenty of eggs in the fridge. Perfect time for a good old bacon and egg pie! I never actually used to like bacon and egg pie – even though my Mum apparently used to make the most amazing one  - until last year when  was in Salmond College and pretty much had to eat everything and anything that I was given if I wanted to survive. Now I find it is a very easy meal to make and also a great one to indulge in.

So basically, bacon and egg is very simple. You just lay out the pastry in the tin, lay out half of the bacon on top of the pastry, crack the eggs into the tin, season with salt and pepper, lay out the rest of the bacon on top and then put the lid of pastry on. Then if I’m feeling creative I sometimes decorate the lid of the pastry with little designs (but I didn’t have time for this last night) and then egg glaze the top then chuck it in the oven for 45 minutes. It is a very very simple meal and it could nicely cook away as we got ready to go out.

45 minutes later, we are all dressed in our black and white – face paint and all – and ready for something to get in our stomachs. As we were getting ready we could smell the pie cooking and definitely felt like some food by now. I got the perfectly golden brown pie out of the oven and within about five minutes it was completely demolished. Now that’s a success if you ask me!

1 comment:

  1. Leigh your pie sounds great, I really like how it was thrown together by what you found in the freezer. Perhaps some quotes from who ever ate would have been good! You could invite me round for the next pie anytime!

    ReplyDelete